Recent Articles and Chapters -
Grouped in Topic Categories:
Energy Technology Policy
Bringing Innovation to Legacy Sectors
The DARPA Model
Online and Workforce Education
(Note: pdfs are from available online sources; may only be used for academic and scholarly purposes and not reproduced]
Energy Technology Policy:
- "Energy Storage for the Grid" (with David Hart and Nathaniel Austin), MIT Energy Initiative Working Paper (April 2018)
- “Applying Innovation Policy to the U.S. Energy/Climate Challenge”, Chapter 12 in the book Delivering Energy Law and Policy in the EU and U.S. (Raphael Heffron and Gavin Little, eds.) (Edinburgh University Press 2016)
- "Forum: DOD's Role in Energy Innovation," Issues in Science and Technology (Winter 2015),
- “Time for Climate Plan B”, Issues in Science and Technology (Winter 2011).
- “A New Strategy for Energy Innovation” (with J. Alic, D. Sarewitz, and C. Weiss), Nature (July 15, 2010).
- “Stimulating a Revolution in Sustainable Energy Technology”, Environment (with C. Weiss, July/Aug. 2009).
- “Stimulating Innovation in Energy Technology”, Issues in Science and Technology (with C. Weiss, Fall 2009).
- “Will the Search for New Energy Technologies Require a New R&D Mission Agency?” Bridges (2007).
- “Power Play – The DARPA Model and U.S. Energy Policy”, American Interest (Nov./Dec. 2006) (reprinted in the book Blindside, below).
WBB Policy Exchange DARPA book paper Visions of ARPA 2020 1 2
WBB David Hart MITEI Working Paper Energy Storage for the Grid 4 2018
WBB Energy Tech Policy Edinburgh Univ Press 2016
- "What Economists Don't Know about Manufacturing" (with Peter L. Singer), American Interest (May/June 2018)
- "Donald Trump Voters and the Decline of American Manufacturing," Issues in Science and Technology , Summer 2016.
- "Advanced Manufacturing: A New Policy Challenge," Annals of Science and Technology Policy (2017)
- "The rise of advanced manufacturing institutes in the United States," Chapter 11 in book The Next Production Revolution, OECD (2017)
- “Advanced Manufacturing Policies and Paradigms for Innovation”, Science (December 6, 2013).
- “Reinventing American Manufacturing: the Role of Innovation”, Innovations (special manufacturing issue Summer 2012).
WBB American Interest What Economists Don't Know About Manufacturing 4 2018
WBB Issues in S&T Donald Trump Voters and Mfg Decline 6 2016
WBB Annals of Science and Tech Policy, Advanced Manufacturing 2017
WBB OECD Next Production Revolution book, Chapter 11, 4 2017
Bringing Innovation to Legacy Sectors:
- “Legacy sectors: barriers to global innovation in agriculture and energy” (with C. Weiss), Technology Analysis and Strategic Managementv. 25, no. 10 (Nov. 2013). 1189-1208.
- “Complex, Established ‘Legacy’ Sectors: The Technology Revolutions that do Not Happen”, Innovations (with C. Weiss, Spring 2011).
- “Taking Covered Wagons East: A New Innovation Theory for Energy and Other Established Sectors”, Innovations (with C. Weiss, special energy issue Fall 2009).
The DARPA Model:
- A Summary of the DARPA Model, in Iain Mansfield and Geoffrey Owen, eds., Vision of DARPA - Embracing Risk,Transforming Technology (Policy Exchange 2020), chapt. 1, 27-33
- "DARPA and its ARPA-E and IARPA Clones: A Unique Innovation Model, Industrial and Corporate Change, v.27, n.5 (Sept. 2018)
- All that DARPA Can Be," American Interest, v.11, n.1(Sept-Oct 2015)
- “ARPA-E and DARPA: Applying the DARPA model to energy innovation” (with R.VanAtta), Journal of Technology Transfer (Oct. 2011).
- “The Connected Science Model for Innovation - The DARPA Model” appeared in the National Academy book 21st Century Innovation Systems for the U.S. and Japan (May 2009).
- “The Once and Future DARPA” appeared in the book Blindside (Brookings Press, Francis Fukuyama, ed., 2007) (reprint of "Power Play" article, under "Energy," above)
WBB Industrial and Corporate Change 2018 9 12.pdf
Online and Workforce Education:
-"Applying New Education Technologies to Workforce Education Needs" (with Sanjay Sarma), MIT Work of the Future Research Brief, Oct. 14, 2020
"Fixing an Imperfect Labor Market Information System“ (with Sanjay Sarma), Issues in Science and Technology, Fall 2018
- The Quest for Quality Jobs" (with Sanjay Sarma), Issues in Science and Technology, Fall 2018
-Two Revolutions in Learning” (with S. Singer), Science (March 22, 2013)
- “The Online Challenge to Higher Education”, Issues in Science and Technology (with S. Singer, Summer 2013).
WBB Sanjay Sarma Labor Market Info System Issues in Sci and Tech 2018
WBB Sanjay Sarma Quality Jobs Issues in Sci and Tech Fall 2018
- “New Model Innovation Agencies – An Overview,” Science and Public Policy (July 2014), v.41 n.4, 425-437.
- “The Innovation State”, American Interest (July/Aug. 2009).
- “The Problem of Political Design in Federal Innovation Organization” appeared in the Stanford Univ. Press book The Science of Science Policy (spring 2011).
- “Review: The Politics of Jobs”, Issues in Science and Technology (Summer 2007).
- “Meeting the New Challenge to U.S. Economic Competitiveness”, Issues in Science and Technology (2004).
- “Homeland Security Technology”, Issues in Science and Technology (with K.V. Sharp, 2002).
- “Science at a Crossroads" FASEB Journal (July 2002), reprinted from Technology in Society (2002).